There’s a lot of information going around about the accident that happened Tuesday evening on I-16 westbound.
These are the facts of what we know from the Bibb Sheriff's Office and Coroner Leon Jones:
The accident happened Tuesday around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, just west of Ocmulgee East Boulevard on I-16 and involved 8 vehicles.
Traffic was slowing down because of construction work on the interstate.
49-year-old Gerard Thompson of Palmetto, Georgia, was going west in a tractor-trailer on the interstate.
Thompson reportedly hit a pickup truck, which caused the truck to hit a smaller vehicle. All three of those vehicles caught on fire.
Witnesses reported his speed was a factor in the accident and he was arrested quickly because of physical evidence at the scene.
Three people are dead – two were pronounced dead at the scene, one died at the Medical Center, Navicent Health.
Only two of those people were identified: 81-year-old Marjorie Jones, of Dublin, and 84-year-old Robert Day, of Vidalia. Both victims were connected to a Dublin church headed to a service in Macon. Jones was riding in a church bus involved in the accident, Day was driving separately.
Thompson is charged with three counts of vehicular homicide and reckless driving, and is currently in the Bibb County Jail. His bond was set at $50,000 Wednesday during his first appearance before a judge.
FULL LIST OF ALL INVOLVED
Gerard Thompson, 49, arrested
Casey Wolfe, 23, not hospitalized
- Donnie Barwick, 49, stable condition
- Donna Barwick, 49, in ICU
- Keith Collins, 49, stable condition
- Cindy Collins 49, stable condition
- Linda Hall, 59, not hospitalized
- Arlisha Hall, 19, not hospitalized
Leonard Mickowski, 64, not hospitalized
Nathan Lewis, 20, not hospitalized
- Richard Rozier, 80, critical condition at Burn Center
- Robert Day, deceased
Ford Club Wagon van
- Jeffery Rozier, uninjured
- Roy Snell, 60, discharged
- Ricky Jones, 18, discharged
- Amigene Wright, 61, ICU
- Sheila Hines, 56, ICU
- Marjorie Jones, 81, deceased
- James Snell, 58, discharged
- Candice Snell, 8, uninjured
- Lisa Snell, 50, uninjured
- Trenton Snell, 13, uninjured
- Rena Powell, 52, uninjured
- Peaeleane Johnson, 81, uninjured
- Lucile Wilbure, 68, uninjured
What we don’t know and are working to find out:
The third victim’s name.
More detailed information on how the other vehicles became involved in the accident.