Several events will take place across Central Georgia this weekend to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday.
Monday, January 15:
- Mercer University’s Building the Beloved Community Symposium will host a free community concert including music, dance and a dramatic reading, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The event will take place at 7 p.m. at the Grand Opera House in Macon.
- The MLK, Jr. Annual Breakfast will be held in Macon at St. Peter Claver Catholic Church beginning at 7:00 a.m.
- The MLK Jr. Memorial March in Macon will begin at 11:00 a.m. The marches will converge at noon.
Here are this year's (2018) starting points:
Northside – Booker T. Washington Community Center
Captains: Rev. Melvin Fussel
Rev. Horace G. Banks
Eastside – Rosa Jackson Center
Captains: Rev. Alfred Hazel
Rev. Edward Dawson
Westside – Frank Johnson Recreation Center
Captains: Rev. Dwayne Whitehead.
Rev. Clifford Little
Southside – Memorial Gym
Captains: Pastor Lisa M. Watson
Dr. Mary H. Butler
- The Drum Circle will begin at 12:30 p.m. in front of the Tubman museum.
- The African American Poetry Experience will begin at 2:00 pm. at the Tubman Museum.
- There will be a Jazz Performance at 7:00 p.m. at the Grand Opera House.
- More on many of Bibb County's events here.
- The Ingleside Manor Residents are celebrating MLK Day by presenting the "Firsts" of Breaking Barriers." The program will be held inside of the Ingleside Manor Community Room at 1:00 p.m. Lunch will be provided.
- The Epsilon Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. will be serving lunch at Loaves and Fishes Ministries Monday, January 15, 2018 from noon until 2:00 p.m.
- The annual Martin Luther King Jr. Parade will be held at 1:00 p.m. and will start on Beech Street and end at Turner Chapel AME Church in Cochran. A program will be held at the church located at 163 N. Seventh Street following the parade.
- The annual March & Message march in Forsyth will begin at the Old City Hall and end at Kynette United Methodist Church. The march begins at noon.
If you know of any events in Central Georgia that will be held in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, you can send us a message on Facebook or send us an email at email@example.com.