According to Macon Bibb Fire Chief, Marvin Riggins, an elderly man was taken to the hospital after his house caught fire Friday afternoon.

Riggins says first responders were dispatched to a home on Montpelier Avenue just before 5 p.m.

He says firefighters found a man inside the house unconscious but with a pulse.

Riggins says the man was exposed to large amounts of heat and smoke, and suffered from multiple burns. He was transported to Navicent Health.

According to Riggins the fire did not start in the room where firefighters found the male victim. He would not comment on what started the fire. He says that's still under investigation.