GREENSBORO, NC -- A viral video of a Texas woman blowing out her candle is raising serious questions about the half-second practice most of us think nothing about.

The video, reportedly captured by a home surveillance camera, shows 29-year-old Ashley Brawley blowing out her candle (reportedly a three-wick vanilla scent from Bath and Body Works). Instead of extinguishing, the flame appears to blow up in her face. She screams and runs off.

In a Facebook post, Brawley's husband explained she ended up in the hospital with first and second-degree burns. Fortunately, she's OK. But, the situation had our VERIFY team wondering if this was an isolated incident or if it's really dangerous to blow out candles the old-fashioned way.


To VERIFY, we looked at candle incident reports from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.


It listed one other incident this year -- in May -- involving a candle similar to Ashley's. A consumer described her three-wick, Bath and Body Works candle, shooting up in a foot-high flame. She said her floor got ruined from the wax. Bath and Body works responded, saying other factors -- like wick size and room draft -- can affect a candle.

After this latest incident with Ashley in the video, Bath and Body Works released another statement saying candles are safe to use in accordance with instructions. Those instructions say not to burn the candles longer than three to four hours (in the post, Ashley's husband claims hers had burned for three hours and 20 minutes before the incident). Though we don't know how long Ashley's candle wicks were, Bath and Body Works recommends trimming them to a quarter-inch every time you light them.


Overall, we can verify what you saw in the video can happen. So, follow the instructions on the candle label for wick length and burn time. Additionally, instead of blowing out the candle with your mouth, use something like a snuffer stick (we found them for as low as $4.99 at a local home store).