Black Bean and Corn Salsa Recipe
1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn - drained
1 can (15 ounces) black beans - rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice (see tips below)
1/2 cup red onion - diced
1 medium jalapeno - diced finely
2 cloves garlic - peeled and minced
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley leaves - chopped (see tips below)
Directions for Black Bean and Corn Salsa Recipe:
- Add the corn, black beans and tomatoes to a large bowl and stir together.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Chill the salsa in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Will need to have some juices strained off to be used for the Quesadilla Recipe above.
Recipes Tips and Suggestions
- Any type of onion can be used in this recipe. White or yellow onion may be substituted for the red onion if desired.
- For a spicier version of black bean and corn salsa, add a few shakes of hot pepper sauce.
- Cilantro pairs well with lime; however, not everyone enjoys the taste of cilantro. Flat leaf parsley can be substituted for the cilantro, if desired.
- Diced tomatoes are available either plain, or in flavored varieties, which are enhanced with herbs such as basil, garlic and oregano. Canned, diced tomatoes are packed in tomato juice. The entire can of tomatoes and juice should be added to the black bean and corn salsa recipe. 1 cup of chopped, fresh tomatoes, plus 1/2 cup of tomato juice may be used in place of the canned tomatoes.