Warner Robins Officer Capps Retires After 33 Years

5:33 PM, Oct 8, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Warner Robins Police Captain Bill Capps says he's had "enough hoorahs" to last a lifetime.

He's turning in his badge next week and retiring after 33 years of policing.

Capps talked about the stars and the scars he earned during his career.

Capps didn't want to do an interview. He exclaimed, "I didn't!"

His wife, co-workers, and 13WMAZ twisted his arm a bit, and he grudgingly sat down to talk.

His reason for resisting the interview, he said, is because he believes he's made enough headlines in his career.

The 57-year-old says he has an unintentional knack for it. Capps said, "It's the name."

That's right. He believes just his name spells trouble.

He started as an officer in February 1980.

Two motorcycle crashes followed. Then, he wrecked a patrol car, only to be suspended and put on desk duty by the chief.

Capps said, "I almost died four times."

The fourth time may be the most memorable to the public. He was one of the officers involved in a 2008 shootout.

A homeowner fired at Capps and a code enforcement officer because he didn't want his junk cars towed.

That man, John Adcock, later went to prison for his actions.

Referring to the incident, Capps said, "2008 was an eye-opening event."

He doesn't like to talk about it. Capps says the court case and the headlines took a toll on his family.

Capps said, "I have forgiven a lot for that time frame, for what people said or did."

While he's quick to point out his own bad press, Capps earned a lot of good headlines, too. There's enough to fill a scrapbook full that his wife put together.

He earned several accolades and his upward climb through the police ranks, for his ten years on a task force called STOP, or Selective Targeting Operational Police Unit. It was aimed at stopping crime in particular areas of town.

Capps said, "That time period was the happiest, the most enjoyable for me to come to work."

He also remembers the time a routine call brought him to a trailer on Walnut Street. He found three young children, sitting around candles. Capps said it was 11:00 p.m., and the children's mother had left them home alone.

"I became enraged," he said. Capps brought the children to the police station, and says he remembers the incident because it comforted the children.

Capps said, "It wasn't a great achievement, but it was a proud moment for me, because that's what I was in law enforcement for."

Capps says he's retiring now at the request of his wife. They will move to the mountains. He says he's fulfilling a promise he made her when they married 20 years ago.

He said, "This is my 'thank you' for standing beside me for all these years. For a klutz, an idiot, sometimes you'd think I had the biggest brain fart of any man alive."

Capps is hard on himself, personally and professionally.

His wife's forgiven him for errors in judgement at home. He said, "I owe her everything."

Any mistakes Capps made at work, he says he will walk away, head high.

Capps said, "I've done some wild things. I've done some unbelievable things. I've done some stuff, I've acted in different ways, but I never did anything to tarnish this badge."

Capps will turn in his badge and retire next Friday.

A credit to his long and successful career, Police Chief Brett Evans, who Capps trained in the 1980's, is hosting his retirement party.

Evans said, "Captain Capps has been a big asset to the Warner Robins Police Department. We sincerely appreciate his 33 years of service with our agency. He has served his community well and we hope he enjoys retirement. We wish him well and he will be sincerely missed."


Most Watched Videos