ATLANTA (AP) - Parents are demanding answers about a carbon monoxide leak at an Atlanta elementary school that sent dozens of students to hospitals.
Atlanta Public Schools spokesman Steve Alford told parents who gathered at Finch Elementary School Wednesday night that the school system should have done more to make sure the problem didn't happen to begin with.
CBS Atlanta reports that Alford said that he thinks the system needs to do a much better job making sure students are safe.
More than 40 students and some adults at the southwest Atlanta school were treated at hospitals after the Dec. 3 leak. School officials say a maintenance worker mishandled a valve on the old boiler unit. They say a temporary unit is now in place and a permanent one will be installed.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)