13WMAZ's Suzanne Lawler is making her away around Central Georgia and she's gathering up recipes.
On her second stop, she visited Lee Anne Purvis and her sister Sherry Phillips who shared their mother's dressing recipe.
The cornbread is cooked in their grandmother's vintage cast iron skillet. It's a dry dressing, which means you can eat it with a fork.
When Lee Anne was a child, it was her job to do all the chopping. Even now, she still does all the chopping because she's the youngest between her and her sister -- a topic which they tease each other about a lot.
We've received messages to our Facebook page from people wanting the recipe.
Well here it is --- but first, there's a catch.
Suzanne wants your best recipe!
13WMAZ is in the process of compiling a cookbook - Recipes from the Heart - and you can be part of this legacy.
Send your recipes to email@example.com, or mail to 13WMAZ-TV, 1314 Gray Highway, Macon, GA 31211 (Please write 'Recipes from the Heart' on the envelope.)
2 cups of self-rising cornmeal
1 large, chopped onion
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 cups buttermilk
Salt and pepper to taste
Small can of biscuits -- baked as directed
3 tsp. poultry seasoning
4-6 cups of chicken or turkey broth
- Heat dry cast iron skillet in oven preheated to 350 degrees
- Mix the first 6 ingredients listed above in a large bowl
- Pour into the hot skillet that's been greased and bake until golden brown
- Let the cornbread cool and then crumble it
- Crumble the cooked biscuits and add it to the crumbled cornbread
- Add 2 eggs and poultry seasoning and mix thoroughly
- Pour into broth into cornbread until desired consistency is obtained
- Cook and chop giblets and two boiled eggs.
- Add 1 can cream of chicken soup and then with broth.
- Heat and serve over dressing.
© 2017 WMAZ-TV