Kennesaw FedEx shooting suspect dead

KENNESAW, Ga. -- Police say the suspect in a shooting at a Kennesaw FedEx facility has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He has not yet been named, but witnesses said he worked as a baggage handler for the company.

The suspect's body was found in a loading bay. Police say he was armed with pistols and a shotgun.

The shooting happened at around 5:45 a.m. Tuesday. Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce said the suspect arrived at the facility at 1675 Airport Road and started shooting, striking six people.

The victims were taken to WellStar Kennestone Hospital; one is in critical condition. No names were released.

11Alive's Paul Crawley reported from the scene that FedEx employees were being turned away as they tried to arrive at work. Those who were already at work were held in a warehouse on the property. The facility was on lockdown and police closed several nearby roads, including Old Highway 41 between McCollum and Cobb parkways.

Cobb County Police Officer Mike Bowman said investigators searched the area for secondary devices as protocol. Police are using search dogs to go through the entire warehouse.

FedEx spokesman Scott Fiedler released a statement at around 7:20 a.m., saying, "FedEx is aware of the situation. Our primary concern is the safety and well-being of our team members, first responders and others affected. FedEx is cooperating with authorities."

At 9 :20 a.m. Fiedler issued a new statement saying: "We can confirm that an incident occurred early Tuesday morning at a FedEx Ground facility in Kennesaw, Georgia. Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected, and with their families and friends. We are grateful for the assistance of law enforcement. The situation is now stabilized and we are focused on the needs of our team members and cooperating with the law enforcement investigation of this tragedy."


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment