Protecting your belongings in a storm

Part of preparing for a tropical storm or hurricane is securing your belongings.
State Insurance Commissioner Ralph Hudgens says it's important to know what your property insurance covers and make copies of your policy.
He says you should have your insurance company's phone number readily available, along with an inventory of your things in documents that come with you, should you have to leave your home.
He also says you should contact your insurance agent immediately if you have damage to either your house or car.
He reminds you inclement weather does not absolve you of liability should you have an automobile accident.
Another reminder, a typical homeowner’s policy does not cover damage from floodwaters. 
If you have questions about the federal flood insurance program, visit
Also, if you have property damage, cover the affected area with a tarp or plywood to protect from further damage.
Keep receipts of materials used for repairs because your insurance company should reimburse you for repair costs. 
If damage is so severe you have to leave, remove valuable items if there's nowhere in the home to lock them up.  
If you are having trouble getting in touch with your insurance company, or have other question, call Commissioner Hudgens’ Consumer Services Hotline at 800-656-2298.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment