Woman sets apartment ablaze attempting to kill bug

TOPEKA, Kan. -- A Kansas woman says she accidentally started an apartment fire while trying to kill a bug.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that Monique Quarles was attempting to light a bug on fire when her lighter malfunctioned, sparked and caught the box-spring under the bed aflame. 

No serious injuries were reported but fire officials reported an estimated $140,000 in damage - $120,000 of that to the apartment itself. The newspaper reports that 13 adults and six children were displaced by the fire. Several cats were also rescued from the building.

Quarles was in the apartment with her daughter and 2-year-old granddaughter at the time the fire began.

It's unclear why she lit the bug on fire to kill it but she told the Capital-Journal that it was the second such bug she had attempted to dispose of in such a manner that night. After spotting the first one, she and her daughter were looking to make sure there weren't more when she found the next under the mattress.

© 2017 WXIA-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment