UGA RB Nick Chubb and QB Jacob Eason along with Georgia Tech RB Dedrick Mills were named to the 2017 Maxwell Award preseason Watch List today.
The Maxwell Award is awarded each year to the top player in college football in honor of Robert W. Maxwell, who played college football at the University of Chicago in the early 1900s and was a sports columnist at the Philadelphia Public Ledger.
Chubb and Eason were two of 20 players from the SEC named to the watch list. Mills was one of 11 players named to the list from the ACC.
In total, 84 players from around the nation were named to the award's preseason watch list.
Last year's winner was Louisville QB Lamar Jackson, who completed 230 of his 409 pass attempts (56.2%) for 3,543 yards and 30 touchdowns during the 2016-2017 season. He also led the Cardinals in rushing with 1,571 yards and 21 touchdowns. In the first four games of the 2016 season, Jackson threw and ran for 25 total touchdowns, including 8 in the season-opener against Charlotte and 7 in week 4 against Marshall.
Here are lists of all of the SEC and ACC players named to the watch list.
- Jake Bentley, QB, South Carolina
- Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia
- Damarea Crockett, RB, Missouri
- Jacob Eason, QB, Georgia
- Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State
- Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama
- Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
- Jalen Hurts, QB, Alabama
- Arden Key, DE, LSU
- Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
- Shea Patterson, QB, Ole Miss
- Kamryn Pettway, RB, Auburn
- Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
- Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina
- Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama
- Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
- Jarrett Stidham, QB, Auburn
- Ralph Webb, QB, Vanderbilt
- Trayveon Williams, RB, Texas A&M
- Malik Zaire, WR, Florida
- Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse
- Deondre Francois, QB, Florida State
- Quadree Henderson, All-Purpose Back, Pittsburgh
- Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
- Derwin James, S, Florida State
- Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
- Harold Landry, DE, Boston College
- Dedrick Mills, RB, Georgia Tech
- Jaylen Samuels, All-Purpose Back, N.C. State
- Mark Walton, RB, Miami (Fla.)
- Christian Wilkins, DE, Clemson
Georgia will kick off the 2017-2018 season against Appalachian State between the hedges at Sanford Stadium at 6:15 p.m. on Sept. 2. The game will be televised on ESPN. Appalachian State RB Jalin Moore was also named to the Maxwell Award watch list.
Georgia Tech will start the season in the Chick-Fli-A Kickoff Game against Tennessee on Labor Day, Sept. 4. The game will be played at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. and this game will also be televised by ESPN.
© 2018 WMAZ-TV