LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

ATLANTA - State representative Shelia Jones is introducing a bill to require Georgia schools to install carbon monoxide detectors by July 1. The proposal comes just days after a carbon monoxide leak at Finch Elementary sent 50 people to the hospital.

School officials say workers forgot to open a valve after doing some work on the boiler at Finch. The school reopened Friday after a new temporary boiler and detectors were installed.

Bibb County's Director of Risk Management Rick Gowan has said there are 22 schools that are in need of the detectors. Gowan said those devices will be added as soon as possible.

In Atlanta officials say they plan to inspect the boilers in every school in the coming weeks.

(11alive.com)

Read or Share this story: http://on.wmaz.com/1h8G9tv