Shari Morgan joined us in the studio today to make tasty okra pickles.
If you want to make this summer treat yourself, all you have to do is follow the directions below, ejnoy!
- 1 pound okra, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons coarse salt
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon store-bought pickling spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper flakes
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 fresh jalapeno, halved lengthwise, stemmed, and seeded
1. Rinse okra in a colander. Add 3 tablespoons salt, and toss to combine. Let okra drain in sink 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare an ice-water bath; set aside.
2. Put remaining 3 tablespoons salt, 2 cups water, the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, pickling spice, cayenne,
onions, and jalapeno into a nonreactive medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
3. Rinse okra under cold running water to remove salt. Transfer to a large nonreactive bowl. Pour brine over okra. Set bowl in ice-water bath; let cool 10 minutes. Transfer bowl to refrigerator to cool completely, about 25 minutes. Serve.