Pope Francis, also known as the people's pope, has been named Time magazine's Person Of The Year in 2013. But how much do you know about Jorge Mario Bergoglio? Here's a list of lesser-known facts about the pontiff:
1. As archbishop of Buenos Aires, Bergoglia traveled by bus and cooked his own meals.
2. In addition to his native Spanish, Pope Francis also speaks Italian and German.
3. Francis reportedly received the second-most votes after Joseph Ratzinger in the 2005 papal election.
4. Bergoglio never lived in the ornate church mansion in Buenos Aires during his time as archbishop. Instead, he preferred a simple bed in a downtown room heated by a small stove.
5. When he was elected pope, Francis chose not to wear the red shoes made for him. Instead, he wore his black shoes from Buenos Aires.
6. Pope Francis @Pontifex has 3,348,650 followers on Twitter.
7. Francis celebrated his first Holy Thursday Mass in a youth prison in Rome.
8. He had part of one lung removed when he was young, according to the Vatican.