On Nov. 20, Atlanta will officially be saying farewell to the Georgia Dome. Since its doors first opened in 1992, the Georgia Dome has remained the only venue to host the Olympics, Super Bowl, and NCAA men’s basketball Final Four. It has held more than 1,400 events that have drawn 37 million guests through its doors.
As we prepare to bid farewell to the popular Atlanta landmark farewell, here are all the questions you have about Monday’s implosion.
When is the implosion happening? Monday, November 20 at 7:30 a.m. WATCH LIVE ON 13wmaz.com
Where is it happening? The Georgia Dome located at 1 Georgia Dome Drive, Atlanta, GA 30313.
Will MARTA be affected?
- MARTA services between Phillips and Vine City from 2 a.m. to 10 a.m. and all MARTA bus routes in the area will be suspended from 5:30 a.m. to around 2 p.m.
- MARTA will be suspending all rail service west of Five Points Station in Atlanta at 1:30 a.m. on Nov. 20. MARTA will offer three bus shuttles to connect riders to Five Points Station beginning at 4:30 a.m.
- The Blue Line will run east and west from Five Points Station to Hamilton E. Holmes with stops parallel to or at MARTA rail stations.
- The Green Line will run east and west along the Proctor Creek Line to Bankhead Highway.
- Mobility vehicles will be stations at the Walmart in the Historic Westside Village at 835 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. Those vehicles will transition riders between the Blue and Green bus lines.
- An express bus line - the purple line - will provide a nonstop ride between Five Points and Hamilton E. Holmes. Buses on the Blue and Green lines will run about 10 minutes apart. The Purple Line express bus line will run every 5 to 7 minutes.
- Temporary bus service is free and riders will get complimentary round-trip tickets from MARTA for a future fare.
What roads will be closed? Starting at 5 a.m. on Nov. 20, major intersections and several residential roads listed below will be closed and are anticipated to reopen by 11:30 a.m.
- Andrew Young International Blvd from Phillips Drive to Centennial Pkwy NW
- Phillips Drive from Centennial Pkwy NW to Andrew Young International Blvd NW
- Magnum St NW from MLK Jr Drive to Marietta St NW
- Northside Drive from MLK Drive NW to Joseph E Boone Blvd NW
- Maple St NW from MLK Drive NW to Northside Drive NW
- Electric Ave NW from Maple St NW to Spencer St NW
- Postell Street NW from Maple St NW to Rhodes St NW
- Rhodes St NW from Electric Ave NW to Northside Drive NW
- Magnolia St NW from Electric St NW to Northside Drive NW
- Thurmond St NW from Electric Ave NW to Northside Drive NW
- Northside Drive is the only state route that will be closed.
I want to watch, where can I go?
- There is no public viewing but you can watch the implosion online and on social media at 13wmaz.com.
- There are hotels and businesses in the area that are throwing ‘watch parties’ for the implosion.
- The Mammal Gallery will be throwing a ‘Sleep Show’ beginning Sunday, Nov. 19 at 10 p.m. through Monday at 6 a.m. at their location Broad Street location. This event is to “tribute the Georgia Dome through sensory excess." At 6:30 a.m. on Monday, the group will walk to the Georgia Dome to watch the implosion.
- The Sun Dial Restaurant, Bar & View is throwing a ‘Georgia Dome Implosion Party’ that begins at 6:45 a.m. where all three levels of the restaurant will be open for viewing. The Sun Dial will also be serving complimentary pastries and coffee for attendees. The cost of the event is $50 per person and reservations can be made by calling 404-589-7506.
- Officials ask that you stay out of the restricted area outlined in red below as no one will be allowed inside the perimeter from 5:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
How long will the implosion last? Make sure you tune in early because once the explosions detonate it will take around 15 seconds for the Georgia Dome to collapse, according to the Georgia World Congress Center Authority.
Will I see smoke? You should expect dust clouds after the immediate implosion of the Georgia Dome.
How long until the site is cleared? Within three months.
What will the site become? The area will become the Home Depot Backyard as a green space for the community, a parking deck, and convention center hotel.