CORDELE, Ga. — A 28-year-old man was arrested by Cordele Police officers Saturday afternoon after he shot into a car that had two children under the age of 5 inside.
According to a news release from the Cordele Police Department, two brothers had been traveling from Florida back to Macon and stopped in Cordele. They got into an argument, and the 28-year-old was put out of the car.
He then shot the car, and some of his rounds went into the front windows of a nearby McDonald's restaurant where the play area is. No one was hurt.
The suspect ran away when Cordele officers arrived, but was captured at the Travelodge. After being arrested, he kicked the back window out of one of the patrol cars and damaged another.
The man was taken to the Crisp County Sheriff's Office and charged with:
- Five counts of Aggravated Assault
- Two counts of Cruelty to Children 2nd Degree
- Possession of a firearm during the commission of certain crimes
- Possession of a firearm with an altered serial number
- Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
- Two counts of criminal damage to property 2nd Degree
- Two counts of criminal interference to government property
- Two counts of obstruction
The 28-year-old also had active warrants for his arrest out of Bibb County for Cruelty to Children.
His brother was initially detained until the investigation revealed that he only fired back in self-defense. He was released without charges and cooperated with law enforcement.
If you have any information about this case, you can contact the Cordele Police Department at 229.276.2921 or non-emergency 911 at 229.276.2690.