OGLETHORPE, Ga. — The Macon County fire that killed four people early Saturday may have started in a clothes dryer.

That's according to Oglethorpe Fire Chief Billy Martin.

He said he believes the victims were a father and three children. No one else was in the home, he said.

Martin says a neighbor reported the fire at 524 Kaigle St. around 2:45 a.m. 

"I live around four or five blocks from there and as I left my house, I could see the fire," he said.

The two-bedroom wood-frame home was engulfed when crews arrived, he said.

He said investigators from the state fire marshal's office believe the fire started in the family's clothes dryer -- possibly from lint or from oily clothes.

County coroner Brenda Oglesby said the victims appeared to be a young adult man and three children under the age of 10.

They do not have positive identifications yet, and autopsies are scheduled for next week.

This is a developing story, stick with 13WMAZ for updates. 

Macon County house fire
WMAZ

MORE HEADLINES

Update: Bibb coroner locates family of man after suspicious motel death

Bibb deputy charged with pulling gun on a man at a restaurant

'Once Upon a Crime': Increased screen time during pandemic leaves kids vulnerable to online predators

STAY ALERT | Download our FREE app now to receive breaking news and weather alerts. You can find the app on the Apple Store and Google Play.

STAY UPDATED | Click here to subscribe to our Midday Minute newsletter and receive the latest headlines and information in your inbox every day.

Have a news tip? Email news@13wmaz.com, or visit our Facebook page.