National PTSD Awareness Day is held each year on June 27.
It is a day to recognize the effects post-traumatic stress has on the lives of those affected by it.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers help for PTSD by calling 1-800-273-8255 and dialing 1 if you’re a veteran. The department also offers an online chat service with a counselor.
The James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital has a list of mental health resources, too.
The Tampa VA offers mental health services, which include individual and group counseling.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 can be reached at 1-800-273-8255. In the Tampa Bay area, dialing 211 will also connect you to the Crisis Center.
If you or someone you know is struggling, there is a Women Veteran Call Center where you can call or text 1-855-VA-WOMEN (1-855-829-6636)
You can find more veteran coverage here.
What other people are reading right now:
- Woman uses shovel to kill cobra slithering on her patio
- Man accused of killing Pinky the flamingo hit and killed by a truck
- Police: Man shot baby in the head after child's mom rejected his advances
- Ban on horseback riding in the water could be coming to Tampa Bay
- Dealership gives Bible, gun, American flag to everyone who buys a car
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.