ST. LOUIS — An officer witnessed a shooting while patrolling near St. Louis City Hall early Monday morning.
According to the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department, the officer was on the 1200 block of Clark Avenue when a suspect started shooting at a man who had just left a nearby club. The officer called for aid after the suspect got into a silver vehicle and drove away.
Police pursued the vehicle, but lost sight of it at Page Boulevard and Vandeventer Avenue.
The 30-year-old victim later showed up at Barnes-Jewish Hospital. He told police that he and others were escorted out of a club after a fight. While he and a family member walked to their car, the suspect shot at them.
The victim's family member took him to the hospital, where police found multiple guns, ammunition and a large amount of suspected narcotics inside their car.
A van in the St. Louis City Hall parking lot had a bullet hole through its front windshield and the lot was taped off while police investigated early Monday morning. Several evidence markers were placed at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.
More local stories:
- St. Louis attractions temporarily closed due to coronavirus concerns
- Missouri still planning to hold high school state championships despite coronavirus concerns
- Kids march for kindness during coronavirus crisis
- Major school districts announce closure from March 18 to April 3 due to coronavirus concerns
- Fields Foods holding special shopping time for people older than 60