REEDLEY, Calif. — A California man was found dead after he jumped into a river to try and rescue three children struggling in the water.
According to the Fresno Bee, emergency crews responded Wednesday evening to Reedley Beach on Kings River for reports of two people struggling in the water. The outlet said crews rescued an 8-year-old, and two other children made it out of the water safely.
A Reedley Police Department commander said 29-year-old Manjeet Singh jumped into the water to help the kids but "went under" quickly, the newspaper reported.
The commander told CNN that Singh was pulled under a nearby bridge by the current.
CNN reported Singh was found about 40 minutes later underwater and not responding. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Police said the 8-year-old girl remains at the hospital in critical condition after being underwater for about 15 minutes.
- President Trump issues executive order banning 'transactions' with TikTok, WeChat owners
- Gov. DeWine tests negative for COVID-19 just hours after rapid test turned up positive
- Another 7,650 COVID-19 cases added to total in Florida
- NOAA says 'extremely active' hurricane season more likely, updates forecast
- New York Attorney General sues to dissolve the NRA
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter