MARATHON, Fla. — Officials say a pregnant woman jumped into the water to save her 30-year-old husband when a shark latched onto his shoulder as he was snorkeling in the Florida Keys.
The attack happened Sunday morning along Sombrero Reef, off Marathon. Andrew Eddy had just gotten into the water when the shark bit into him.
Deputies say the Atlanta man's wife, Margot Dukes-Eddy, dove into the water without hesitation and pulled him to safety. Medics waiting on the beach flew Eddy to Miami for treatment.
His condition wasn't available, but deputies described the injury to his shoulder as severe. No one else was injured by the shark.
What other people are reading right now:
- Sheriff: Pilot killed in plane crash near Inverness Airport
- Lightning look to take Stanley Cup Final lead in Game 3
- Middle school teacher arrested, accused of sending explicit messages to 13-year-old
- Family of Don Lewis sues Carole Baskin for defamation
- NFL: 'We’re hopeful we can fill the stands' for Super Bowl LV in Tampa
- Results of climate change: Warmer world, stronger storms
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter