MACON, Ga. — The first round of the high school football playoffs is in the books.
Central Georgia is well represented with plenty of top teams in the area advancing to the second round and a couple of local teams pulling off massive upsets including one over a defending state champion.
Here is a look at a roundup of the first round of the Georgia high school football playoffs.
Houston County 29, Brunswick 28
In our Football Friday Night roundtable, the crew all chose Houston County as our upset special this week. The Bears made us look like we know what we are doing. They came out and pulled off the upset as a No. 4 seed over top seed Brunswick to advance to the second round.
But it wasn't without drama, Houston County pulled this one out in overtime on a 2-point conversion. This team has a chance to make a deep run in the playoffs. At least based on seeding, Houston County's path actually gets easier going forward.
Nick Woodford, Northeast RB: He came into this game as one of the top running backs in the state. Woodford added to his growing reputation with 335 yards and five touchdowns in the Raiders opening playoff win over Worth County including the touchdown to ice the game.
Bleckley County: Another four-seed pulled off a big upset tonight. The Royals faced off against the defending state champions in Brooks County and not only competed but won the game in a defensive slugfest.
Perry: The Panthers played like a No. 1 seed with a ton of hype heading into the playoffs should play. They dominated Shaw for four quarters and didn't have to exert too much energy dealing with another pesky four seed like others in their spot dealt with tonight. The path will get tougher but this team looks poised to make a deep run and perhaps lift the trophy at the end of the season.
- Bleckley County 14, Brooks County 10
- Perry 40, Shaw 6
- Swainsboro 47, Bacon County 0
- Appling County 65, Washington County 14
- Bethlehem Christian 28, Mount de Sales 6
- Windsor 22, Westwood 6
- Schley County 51, GMC 0
- Fullington 34, Grace Academy 0
- Dublin 55, Pelham 14
- Fitzgerald 41, Central 0
- Mount Pisgah 45, Jasper County 12
- Wilkinson County 13, Macon County 7
- Northside 18, Glynn Academy 13
- Cook 77, ACE 35
- Dooly County 22, Jenkins County 21
- Wilcox County 35, Montgomery County 26
- Northeast 41, Worth County 27
- McIntosh County 28, Wheeler County 13
- Bainbridge 58, Baldwin 20
- Houston County 29, Brunswick 28
- Putnam County 30, Toombs County 6
- Johnson County 34, Chattahoochee County 21
- Lamar County 42, Claxton 21
- Cairo 27, Westside 14
- Telfair County 62, ECI 37
- Screven County 35, Crawford County 28
- Manchester 40, Hancock-Central 14
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COVERAGE: