ATLANTA — The Falcons fortunes seem to have gone from bad to worse.
Just two years ago, the team was poised on the edge of winning the Super Bowl. Today, quarterback Matt Ryan is nursing an ankle injury, with an MRI scheduled for Monday. The rest of the team's offense was unable to get the ball across the goal line. The defense was not helpful at all.
Despite a faltering and injured Los Angeles Rams team that came into the Mercedes Benz Dome after losing three straight games, the defending NFC West champions looked more like the playoff team of last season as they cruised to a 37-10 victory.
Falcons head coach woke up on Sunday with the support of team owner Arthur Blank, despite the calls of many fans and many writers in the national press calling for Quinn's head to be served up on a silver platter.
Sunday's loss did little to calm those voices:
- Falcons coach Dan Quinn doesn't believe he has lost team amid 1-6 start - Vaughn McClure, ESPN
- NFL Week 7 Grades: Falcons get an 'F' as Atlanta played its worst game of the year - Jeff Kerr, CBSSports.com
- Falcons quarterback injures ankle in loss to Rams - Drew Nantais, Sporting News
- Devonta Freeman ejected for punching Aaron Donald in Rams, Falcons brawl - Chris Chavez, SI.com
- Todd Gurley's spectacular touchdown catch ignites Rams' scoring machine in win - Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times
- Jared Goff helps Rams snap losing streak in dominating victory over Falcons - Gary Klein, Los Angeles Times
- Jalen Ramsey plays and talks a good game in Rams debut - Kevin Modesti, Los Angeles Daily News
- Rams beat up on Atlanta Falcons to end three-game losing streak - Kevin Modesti, Los Angeles Daily News
- What a difference a great cornerback makes: Jalen Ramsey gives the Rams a new swagger - Jay Busbee, Yahoo Sports
- Devonta Freeman ejected for punching Aaron Donald after Donald hoisted him up like a child - Patrick Redford, Deadspin
- Takk McKinley after loss: 'It's on us' - Kelsey Conway, AtlantaFalcons.com
- 'Coach Dan Quinn's seat is getting warmer (but no move expected today).' - Ian Rapoport, NFL Network
Many NFL insiders, including NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, and ESPN's Adam Schefter are saying that while the calls for Quinn's departure are getting louder, top brass in Flowery Branch are still waiting, most likely for the bye week in Week 9 at the earliest, before anything happens.
Of course, anything is possible.
On the Matt Ryan front, he was seen in a walking boot following Sunday's game and is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Monday. More details will come out from the team after that.
Next week, the Falcons host Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks, with their high-flying 5-2 record handing them second place in the NFC West. The Seahawks lost to Baltimore on Sunday, so they'll be adjusting their offense in order to prepare for the Falcons.
See you Sunday.
MORE ATLANTA FALCONS HEADLINES |